Mittwoch, 29. August 2012

Sometimes you have to make a decision;-)-Pimp my Nessie...

 I made a Nessmuk some months ago. It really, really felt good, the tempering was on the spot, but something always felt awkward. I could not quite put my finger on what was so awkward, until I made a balance test and realized that the stag antler crown, which was really beautiful, compromised the handling. I eventually stopped using it for that reason. But a knife you don´t use is of no use. And since it felt good otherwise, I had to make a decision that involved a hacksaw. I turned it over and over in my hand, and finally got my resolve, and simply got on with it. I contemplated fitting a copper buttcap, but took a pair of wild pig´s teeth I had found in the woods instead.
What can I say... it feels completely right now, and even if I could have done it a bit more cleanly, I like the new look. The stag antler crown, however, will not be wasted, as will the rune disc amulet. Watch this space. I have now used the knife thoroughly, and enjoy it. I found out that the balance point for me should be on the ferrule or bolster for a knife up to 12 cm blade length.

Beliebte Posts